The Iraqi Commercial Attache’ in Washington DC will ONLY certify
The Certificate of Origins & Commercial Invoices
Other documents will be certify directly from
THE CONSULATE OFFICE IN THE EMBASSY
Steps of Legalization at the Iraqi Commercial Attache'
1. All exported goods to Iraq from USA must have a certificate of origin, certified by the Iraq Commercial Attaché in Washington DC.
2. Notarize applicable documents.
3. Then, the documents must be certified from secretary of the state where the document has been issued (for example: if a certificate of origin has been issued from the state of California, you must certify the document in the State of California).
4. Certificate of origin & all commercial invoices must be stamped from the chamber of commerce in the state where the document has been issued . In case, the certificate of origin include a country other than USA, the certificate of origin needs to be authenticated by the embassy of that country in the USA, then to be authenticated by the Chamber of Commerce before the Iraqi Commercial Attache’ authentication.
5. Inspection certificate.
6. Health Certificates Must be attached when exporting Food or drugs to Iraq.
7. The documents will then need to be sent to the U.S. Department of State:
518 23rd Street,
NW Sa-1 Columbia Plaza
Washington, DC 20037
Tel (202) 647- 5002
Fax (202) 663-3636
8. Documents must then be delivered to the Iraqi Commercial Office either by courier or mail (DHL, FedEx, etc…) with a pre-paid return envelope and a copy for each page of all the documents.
Iraq Commercial Office
1155 15th Street NW Suite #1100
Washington, DC 20005
9. All commercial documents including the original certificate of origin must be enclosed with a $160.00 for each document (MONEY ORDER ONLY) made payable to Iraqi Embassy/Commercial Office.
10. All the documents submitted for legalization MUST include the full address of the company in the USA (physical address: Building Number, Street, City, State, Zip Code) in additional to the official telephone and Fax numbers, email, and the company website.
11. Documents will finally be legalized and ready to be picked up (or sent back) within 5-10 business days
Important New Instructions
Prior to authenticate any Certificate of Origin or Invoices, the Iraqi Commercial Attache’ recommends to view documents such as : Bill of lading for goods, Inspection certificate and Insurance policy on the shipment of goods(imported by private sector), certified by the Consular Section at the Iraqi Embassy in the United States or the country of origin.
To Register your company or to incorporate a branch or a representation in Iraq please go to
Definitions: CO = Certificate of Origin
· Where can I issue/obtain a CO?
o The manufacturer.
· What are the steps to legalize a CO and an Invoice?
o Please follow the steps outlined in this LINK
· How will I send the documents from the Department of State (Authentication Office) to The Iraqi Commercial Office?
o The Iraqi Commercial Attache’ can receive documents through couriers, mail, or in person.
· Do I have to insure my goods to be granted entry into Iraq?
o Depending on documents requested by Iraqi officials.
· Which courier service do you recommend?
o The Iraqi Commercial Office doesn’t recommend a specific courier. There are many which you can choose from within the DC area.
· Do I have to pay $160 for a packing list?
o If the document is within the Department of State package, then yes, it will be legalized and will require a $160 Money Order.
· Which monetary instruments does The Iraqi Commercial Office accept?
o Money Orders only.
· What are the required documents to export medicinal goods to Iraq?
o Contact the Ministry of Health in Iraq for up-to-date requirements. LINK
· How long does the Department State take to complete their process?
o The Iraqi Commercial Office doesn’t control or influence the process of the Dept. of State (Authentication Office). Please contact them for details. LINK
· How long does The Iraqi Commercial Office take to process the documents?
o Based on the volume of documents, it usually takes about 3 – 5 business days.
· What are your hours of operation?
o The Iraqi Commercial Office is open from 9am-4pm. However, the hours for document pickup/drop-off are from 10am-1pm.
· How can I register my company in Iraq?
o Please visit the following SITE and follow the instructions.
· Can I certify a bank statement (or other non-commercial documents) at your office?
o No. The Iraqi Commercial Office certifies only Certificates of Origin and Commercial Invoices. However, you can do so at the Iraqi Consulate Office/Iraqi Embassy LINK.
· Where can I find trade news and information?
o There are many official websites that provide trade news and information such as: The ITIC (Iraqi Trade Information Center) LINK
· Can The Iraqi Commercial Office provide information on the Iraqi Dinar?
o Please visit the Iraqi Central Bank for updated information LINK